No matter how well you prepare for college, you probably will face a few challenges along the way.
Here are some suggestions that can help you succeed in school.
- Manage your time: College students often say time management is their biggest challenge. College offers more freedom and choices than you had in high school, so you will need to focus on finding the right balance between school, work, and activities with family and friends.
- Make school a priority: Be sure you plan enough time to complete assignments and study for exams. Many financial aid programs require you to maintain a certain grade point average to continue to receive funds. Don’t let your grades slip to the point that you lose your financial aid and can no longer afford to stay in school.
- Ask for help if you need it: If you find that you are struggling with a particular course, many colleges offer free tutoring and math and writing centers where you can get help. Meet with your academic advisor to find out what kind of assistance is available at your school. If you are struggling financially, meet with a financial aid advisor to discuss your situation.
- Pay attention to deadlines: Make sure you keep track of important deadlines – registering for classes, applying for financial aid, and paying tuition, fees and other costs.
- Look for opportunities: Internships, study abroad programs, and participating in organizations and activities can provide valuable experience and help you develop leadership skills.