A college education can mean more job opportunities, higher pay, and a more secure future for your child.
By 2020, more than 66 percent of jobs in Missouri will require a degree or certificate.
There are many things you can do to help prepare your child for college:
- Encourage them to develop interests and skills through school work, hobbies, and activities.
- Keep up with their progress in school. Review their homework and know the grades they are making.
- Draw connections between learning and real life. They should understand how the things they are learning in school relate to the world.
- Talk about why it was important for you or someone they know to attend college.
- Talk about their plans for the future.
- Help them explore college and career opportunities.
- Attend college fairs and go on college visits.
- Encourage them to apply to college.
- Learn about college costs and how to pay for higher education.
- Create a checklist and calendar to help them keep track of important college-related deadlines.