FSA ID is required in order to file the FAFSA online and to access personal information on Federal Student Aid’s online systems like studentaid.gov and NSLDS.gov. Before filing the FAFSA, students who are considered dependent will need at least one of their parents to also create an FSA ID.
Things you need to get started:
- First and last name (must match your social security card)
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Email address (must have access to this for many years to come)
Set up your FSA ID in four easy steps.
- Go to fsaid.ed.gov. Click on the “Create an FSA ID” tab. Start by adding your email address, along with your chosen username and password. For helpful tips while answering questions, click on the question mark (?) after each answer.
- Add personal and demographic information.
- Select two challenge questions and create two challenge questions. You may also choose a significant date as a fifth challenge question. These questions and answers can be used to retrieve your username and password and/or unlock an account.
- Review and accept the FSA ID terms and conditions. An email confirmation will be sent to the email address provided, and once verified, the FSA ID will be available to use.