School’s out for the summer, but there is plenty to do before fall.
Don’t get sidetracked by summer melt — where students who intend to go to college never actually enroll for the fall semester.
Start checking these items off your list to make sure you’re in good shape to start your freshman year.
- Register for and attend summer orientation.
- Pay all required deposits.
- Register for fall semester classes.
- Make sure you have a plan for housing and transportation.
- Save money to pay for your books.
- Make a realistic spending plan for when you start college.
- Look at your degree map and plan out how many credit hours you need each semester to graduate on time.
- Seek out part-time employment before the fall semester starts.
- Consider job shadowing a few different career options throughout the summer to help you identify which career path is right for you.
- Check with the admissions and financial aid departments at your school to make sure they have all of the information they need from you.
If you need help finalizing your college plans, contact the admissions department at your school. If you’re in the Kansas City area, contact the Missouri College Advising Corps College Connections Center.