How to Take Dual Credit and Dual Enrollment Classes for Free

One way to get a jumpstart for college is to take a dual credit or dual enrollment class. These classes allow students to earn college credit before they have graduated high school. Students can sometimes start college with the first year of college already finished!

Student looking at camera away from computerIf you plan to take a dual credit or dual enrollment class or are already enrolled in one, you probably know you’ll need to pay for the class. That cost is more difficult to cover for some than it is for others, but Missouri Department of Higher Education & Workforce Development (MDHEWD) can help you earn that college credit for free with the Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment (DC/DE) Scholarship.

This scholarship is awarded to students that need help paying tuition and fees for dual credit or dual enrollment classes. To receive that scholarship, you need to be eligible and you need to apply. This article will help you determine if you’re eligible and what you need to do to apply. 

The deadline to apply for a fall 2022 scholarship is Dec. 1, while the deadline to apply for a spring 2023 scholarship is Feb. 1. Applications can still be submitted after Feb. 1 and before April 2, but you could miss out on getting a scholarship if other students have already been awarded the money that is available.

Am I Eligible?

First, you need to know if you are eligible for a scholarship. Let’s go over the financial requirements. If you get free or reduced lunch at school, you are eligible. Also, if your family gets money through a program from the Missouri Department of Social Services (DSS), you are eligible. If you don’t know or aren’t sure, ask your parent or guardian.

Male student with laptop typing somethingIf you live in a foster home or federal subsidized public housing, are a ward of the state, or are homeless, you can qualify for this scholarship. 

Aside from the financial requirements, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or a Missouri resident, enrolled in a dual credit or dual enrollment class through an approved Missouri college or university, and have at least a 2.5 unweighted, cumulative high school GPA.

Before you start, know you’ll need to upload your high school transcript as well as document(s) that prove you are eligible. Your parent or guardian will also need to sign a release form.

How Do I Apply?

If you’ve determined you are eligible for the Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment Scholarship, here is how you apply for it:

  • Create an account on MDHEWD’s Student Portal. The portal is a helpful tool for you to earn more money to pay for college. More information on the portal is available here.
  • Select the Estimate Eligibility link in the menu at the top of the page.
  • Select the academic year from the “Select an academic year” dropdown menu.
  • Click the Apply link in the Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment Scholarship row of the table.